Installing spectacular sculpture
The installation of sculptures at Puhi Kai Iti Cook Landing Site National Historic Reserve and Ruatanuika lookout on Titirangi will be completed this week, celebrating important figures and voyaging traditions significant in our region’s history.
An impressive art piece representing a significant tipuna, Te Maro, will be assembled into place today.
Viewable from the city and Waikanae, the 10 metre high, disc-shaped steel sculpture, weighing nine tonnes will be located on Titirangi at the new lookout site, Ruatanuika.
Te Maro was the grandson of the rangatira Rakai ā Tane at the time of the Endeavour arrival in 1769.
Sculpture to acknowledge our region’s voyaging traditions, Te Ikaroa, will also be completed at Puhi Kai Iti Cook Landing Site this week.
Te Ikaroa a Rauru (the long fish of Rauru) was the waka captained by Māia Poroaki from Hawaiki to Tūranganui-a-Kiwa.
The place where this sculpture stands is where Māia built his whare wānangā, place of learning, that he named Puhi Kai Iti.
The installations will be completed and unveiled in a blessing ceremony on Saturday 28 September, where the stories of these ancestors and the meaning of these art pieces will be shared.
The joint project by Ngāti Oneone, Council and Department of Conservation is fully funded by the Department of Conservation, Lotteries Significant Projects Fund and the Provincial Growth Fund.