Recycling changes to plastic

Kerbside recycling collection

What goes in the recycling bin

Show Sidebar

Recycling collection

Recycling is free and the more you recycle, the less rubbish goes to landfill.

Changes to recycling plastic  

Only grades 1 and 2 plastics are recyclable. This includes milk, drink and detergent bottles. 

Grades 3 to 7 plastic, or plastic with no number are no longer accepted. They include ice cream containers, yoghurt pots, takeaway containers. 

For more information read our Q&As.

What day is my recycling collected?

Find out what day your kerbside recycling is collected

What goes in the recycling bin

We prefer you have a Council approved bin. You can purchase one from us

All recyclables must be clean - wash, squash and sort your recycling. 

Pack it all in your bin. Cardboard and paper should be flattened.

Cardboard can be bundled flat outside of the bin, no greater than one square metre.

Put heavy items on top so nothing can blow away.

Collectors will empty a maximum of 2 bins per property. If you have 2 bins, put all glass in one bin.

Guide to what's recyclable 

If a product's not recyclable, it'll be left in your bin, or your bin may not be emptied.

Plastics - grade 1-2 only - milk, drink and detergent bottles.
Remove the lids, they're not recyclable and need to go in with rubbish. 
No plastic grades 3-7 or plastic with no symbols. Also includes plastic bags, wrapping, polystyrene meat trays, packaging, bubble wrap, toys.

Paper, cardboard, newspaper, flyers, magazines. 
No tetrapak cartons, takeaway cups

Glass bottles and jars.
No broken glass, light bulbs, mirror, cookware, pyrex, crockery 
Metal lids are accepted, but please separate from the jar.

Aluminium and tin cans, empty household aerosols.
No pots, pans, car parts, mixed media

No hazardous items like batteries, gas bottles, chemicals, ash or paint. 

No clothing, shoes, textiles.

You can take extra glass and other recyclables to the drop-off centre at 75 Innes Street or to your rural transfer station.

If you move house, you should leave the recycling bin behind for the next occupiers.

Where to buy a bin 

You can put out 2 recycling bins per property.  Recycling bins are available from customer service or Waste Management NZ Ltd for $10 each. 

If you move to a rental property and there's no recycling bin, contact your landlord or agent.

If you've built a new house, you need to sign up for kerbside collection at customer service, then you'll get your stickers and recycling bin.

Look after your bin, try not to leave it out too long after it's been emptied.  

We prefer you have a Council-issued bin. If you use your own crate, it must a similar size and strength as a council-approved bin. The contractors will not accept large crates such as vege or fish crates. 

Last updated: