Royal New Zealand Navy
The Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) Scholarship was established in 2009 as a replacement to the Blackpool Scholarship. The purpose of the RNZN scholarship is to support a school leaver in their first year of tertiary study.
The scholarship shall be known as the Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) Scholarship and shall be available to be awarded annually for 5 years, whereupon it will be reviewed.
The current value of the scholarship is $3,000.00 per year.
The scholarship may be awarded to more than one candidate each year, in this case the $3,000 would be split between the candidates.
If there is only one recipient the scholarship may be paid out in 2 separate amounts during the year of receipt; the first at the commencement of the course of study and the second halfway through the course of study.
The award shall not be granted if any of the candidates do not meet the required standards.
Eligibility for the scholarship
The award shall be made to the candidate who:
- is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- has resided in the Gisborne area for at least 12 months prior to the closing date for applications; is a full-time student who intends to undertake full-time tertiary or sports study at a crown-registered tertiary institution or organisation in the following year;
- is formally recommended by their school principal/head teacher. The recommendation should detail how the nominee fully meets the scholarship criteria
- submits a CV and a written proposal of no more than 500 words outlining why they should be selected
- describes separately the full-time course and the Institution they wish to attend
- is willing to engage in publicity activities as requested by the Gisborne District Council and the Royal New Zealand Navy.
The award of the scholarship shall be based on these criteria:
- the applicant's demonstration of the Navy core values of commitment, courage and comradeship within life such as school, sport and in the community
- the positive effect the opportunity for tertiary study would have on the applicant’s life
- the positive effect receiving the scholarship would have on the applicant’s life.
The scholarship may be terminated or revoked at any time on receipt of a report from the selection panel that the conduct or progress of the awardee has been unsatisfactory.
When to apply
Nominations close 1 October each year. You need to make your application through your school using this Application Form [PDF, 136 KB].