Thursday 4 May, 2023
Mayor Rehette Stoltz says the $38.8 million announced for Tairāwhiti by the Government yesterday is awesome news for our region.
“Thank you for listening to our needs as a region. This means we can be proactive and build resilience while also sorting out how to dispose of the huge amount of waste washed over the region during Cyclone Gabrielle.”
Mayor Stoltz says this news will be a welcome relief for many after the cyclone ravaged the region almost three months ago.
“We were hit hard, and we always knew our road to recovery would take a long time.
“The Mayoral Relief Fund and help from NEMA contributed towards the significant cost of removing silt and debris.
“A huge amount of work in this area has already been coordinated by Council and this funding will make a significant difference to whānau on the ground.”
The $38.8 million for Tairāwhiti is 22 percent of the $172 million announced yesterday by Minister of Local Government Kieran McAnulty and Associate Minister for Cyclone Recovery Barbara Edwards. The other 78 percent of the funding has gone to Hawke’s Bay.
“The Government’s direction is for $31.4 million to help us out in the short term to restore our region as well as build resilience for the future of our community.
“The $7.4 million for the commercial properties is very important so land can get back to a productive state and businesses can get back to work and make a profit.
“The exact arrangements for funding for whenua Māori are being finalised, however a specific allocation has been set aside by the Government.
“Te Puni Kokiri will lead engagement with affected communities to better understand the needs of landowners and the location of affected whenua.
“We thank the Government for their help.”