Proposals open for historic wharf shed
Council is calling for proposals from the community to relocate and develop the historic ‘bond shed’ that has been at Gisborne’s port since 1887.
Originally used as a base for a crane during the early port development, the building has moved several times, most recently from Kaiti Beach Road to a temporary location on Hirini Street.
Council acquired the shed from Eastland Port in 2016 as part of land negotiations, with a view to relocating and re-purposing the building.
Consultants Archifact Ltd completed a heritage and condition assessment of the building which identified it had moderate heritage value and recommended it would warrant a category B place in the district plan.
Many of the original features of its industrial provenance have been retained and the building has significance as an example of 19th century building techniques.
The building is three-storey however access to interior floors is via a ladder. Work will be required to convert the building for full public access.
Archifact Limited estimated the cost to restore it within its current configuration was $47,000.
Depending on the nature of the proposals received, Council may be able to assist with external funding applications or the relocation costs.
Proposals closed 31 October 2019 and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information see the report: Future Tairawhiti report 18-278 Inner Harbour Wharf Shed(external link)