No current emergency
Are you prepared?
Civil Defence Information
Rain and river levels - check environmental monitoring
For local road conditions - check our road updates
For state highway updates - go to NZTA's website
For latest weather forecast - go to the Metservice website
If you are travelling check the road conditions before you leave or phone 0800 4 HIGHWAYS
Are you interested in our emergency manager giving a presentation to your business, organisation or community group regarding hazard events that hit our district? If you are, register with our EM Support Officer by leaving your name and either business, organisation, community group name and contact number.
It's important that you are prepared for a disaster. Get ready now so that you're better prepared to cope on your own for up to 3 days or more.
As a minimum, everyone needs:
- enough food in your home to last 2-3 days
- to know where to get water, if your usual supply is not available. Store some water if a warning is issued, fill containers immediately after a large earthquake
- alternative lighting - a torch with spare batteries or a wind up one, gas lantern or light-sticks
- a battery operated or wind up radio and spare batteries - don't forget your car radio as a last resort
- a first-aid kit, make sure you have essential medications
- blankets, survival blankets or warm waterproof clothing
- alternative cooking methods - BBQ or gas cooker
- to store important family documents where you can get them easily
- an emergency plan - where to meet family and how to contact one another if separated
For further information on how to 'be prepared'
What to do before, during and after an earthquake. - Earthquake advice and information
Find out if you live or work in a Tsunami hazard area and what is a tsunami
We will broadcast over these stations during an emergency:
- 945 kHz AM - Talkback ZB
- 585 kHz AM - Radio Ngati Porou
- 90.9 FM - ZGFM
- 98.1 FM - Radio Ngati Porou
- 98.9 FM - More FM (Urban Gisborne)
- 90.1 FM - More FM (Rural areas)
- 94.9 FM - Radio Live
- 91.7 FM - Turanga FM
- 88.5 FM - Uawa