Gisborne District Council is responsible for the extensive land transport network in our region, local road maintenance and renewals, capital projects, walkways and cycleways. We also manage 2 public bus services and 9 school bus services as well as road safety education initiative such as campaigns for drink-driving, speeding and seat belts.
Waka Kotahi NZTA is responsible for both state highway 2 and 35 through our district.
Our network consists of:
- 887 roads and streets. That equals 1,899km - 255km urban and 1,644km rural.
- 879km sealed = urban 249km and rural 630km
- 1,020km unsealed = rural 1014km and urban 6km
- 413 bridges
- 263km of footpaths
- 10.9km of cycleway shared paths
- 3,703 streetlights
- 20 roundabouts and 1 set of traffic lights