We welcome responsible campers to the Gisborne Tairāwhiti district and encourage the use of commercial and DoC camp grounds.
If you're freedom camping, please be familiar with our Freedom Camping Bylaw 2021 and the 'Kiwi' saying "leave only footprints".
We have just adopted a new Freedom Camping Bylaw
This page will be updated soon. In the meantime read the bylaw for where you can camp
Freedom camping is permitted in restricted areas in a self-contained vehicle without a permit.
See clause 7 and Schedule 2 of the bylaw.
Freedom camping is prohibited outside the areas identified by the blue box on the map.
If all car parks within the blue restricted area are occupied, you will need to find an alternative site or use commercial accommodation.
Freedom campers in these areas must:
- dispose of effluent at purpose-built septage disposal facilities
- dispose of your solid waste in Council rubbish bins or at facilities marked for waste management
- not restrict access to public areas, private land or vehicle access ways
- comply with any reasonable directions of an enforcement officer.
Where freedom camping is prohibited
For the areas where freedom camping is prohibited, see Schedule 1 of the Bylaw.
- Hallrite Plumbing and Gasfitting Yard, 71 Awapuni Road
- Gisborne Mobil Service Station, 49 Wainui Road
- Te Araroa transfer station, Te Arawapia Rd, Te Araroa
- Mayfair Store & Cabins, Waitangi Street, Tokomaru Bay
- Tolaga Bay Holiday Park, 167 Wharf Road, Tolaga Bay
- Anaura Bay Motor Camp, Anaura Bay, Anaura Bay
- Tatapouri By The Sea, 516 Whangara, SH35, Tatapouri
- Waikanae Beach Holiday Park, Grey Street, Gisborne
- Showgrounds Park Motor Camp, 20 Main Road, Makaraka
Care for our environment
How you can help maintain our district's natural environment during your stay:
During your stay:
- the maximum stay is 3 nights - check requirements on each site
- use the public toilets available in the area
- take advantage of local laundry facilities for washing clothes
- hot showers are available at the toilets in Bright Street
- dispose of all waste in facilities provided, or take it with you
- ensure your wastewater holding tanks are discharged at designated dump stations (see list below)
- please respect our sites, they're public spaces so consider other users
- no fires, use gas BBQs and cookers only
- park in formed car parks, without obstructing accessways
- see our alcohol ban areas *
- you’re not camping in a vehicle or self-contained vehicle where required
- you've stayed more than 3 nights in any public place
- camping would create a health hazard
- the public place is required for another purpose
- camping would obstruct pedestrian or vehicle traffic
- camping is creating a noise nuisance
- the ground conditions are unsuitable for camping or camping will damage the area
- camping is not allowed at that site