The benefit of microchipping your dog is if it's lost, stolen or injured the chip can be scanned for easy identification. Dogs that are registered and microchipped can be quickly reunited with their owner.
A microchip carries a number unique to your dog. The microchip:
- is similar to a supermarket bar-code, it's a transponder that responds to a scanner
- it's not a transmitter and has no power source
- it's about the size of a grain of rice
- it's implanted under the skin between the shoulder blades, a simple procedure just like a vaccination.
Are all dogs legally required to be microchipped?
All dogs registered for the first time, except working farm dogs must be microchipped.
A new puppy or dog registered for the first time (except working farm dogs) must be microchipped within 2 months of first registration.
A dog that has been classified dangerous or menacing must be microchipped within 2 months of being classified. This is a legal requirement of the Dog Control Act 1996.
Who can insert the microchip and what's the cost?
- Veterinarians can microchip - cost ranges from $35 to $75.
- Our animal control staff can microchip your dog - cost $20. Fill in the request form to make an appointment
Dogs that are microchipped still need to be registered each year
Request appointment to microchip
The fee is $20 for our team to microchip your dog