Stock banner image

Kararehe āmiomio

Wandering stock

Report wandering stock on local roads, any day, any time - phone 0800 653 800

Stock on state highways phone 0800 44 44 49.

If roaming stock are causing or will potentially cause an emergency phone 111 – Police.

You need to give the location of the stock, rapid number, station name etc, the number of stock and a brief description.

Droving stock across or along a road must meet the standards in the Stock Control Bylaw

Stock owners are responsible for controlling their livestock. They must not roam onto roads or neighbouring properties.

Stock on roadways are a serious threat to traffic safety and they will be impounded. For complaints regarding stock breaking through fences and wandering on to public roads:

  • Local roads - phone 0800 653 800
  • State highways - phone 0800 44 44 49
  • Emergencies - phone the Police on 111.

If stock have wandered on to your land, please attempt to find their owner and return them. You can hold the stray stock and recover compensation from the stock owner.

If you’re unable to locate the owner, contact us. We can help locate the owner or have the stock impounded.

All charges for transporting the stock, sustenance and advertising fees will be the responsibility of the owner of the stock, who is required to pay before the stock is released.

If the owner of the stock cannot be traced the stock can be auctioned.

The owner is responsible to ensure stock do not wander onto roads.

The Stock Control Bylaw requires appropriate fencing on all property boundaries adjacent to road where paddocks are utilised for stock.

If Council has concerns around the safety of road users on a local road, Council can require the owner take action immediately to appropriately fence the road boundary to the Council’s satisfaction. Council’s discretion will be based on factors such as risk, traffic volumes and history of non-compliance.

Refer to the Stock Control Bylaw.

Stock pound and fees

Our stock pounds are located at Granny Tarr St, Nelson Rd, Riverpoint Rd and Te Puia Springs.

Stock may also be held temporarily in private yards, these yards will be sign posted.

Impounding fees

Under the Impounding Act 1955 s14 and s15.

Description Fees
Stock ranging / impounding 2020/21 Charge $
Between 8.00am and 4.30pm on weekdays
- First impounding 72
- Second impounding 84
- Subsequent impounding 117
After Hours and weekends
- First impounding 82
- Second impounding 94
- Subsequent impounding 127
Sustenance (per day) at cost
Advertising at cost
Horse and Cattle
Between 8.00am and 4.30pm on weekdays
- First impounding 133
- Second impounding 155
- Subsequent impounding 216
After Hours and weekend
- First impounding 143
- Second impounding 165
- Subsequent impounding 226
- Sustenance (per day) at cost
- Advertising at cost
Driving charges
Stock control charge out rate (per hour) 110
Plus Disbursements: Vehicle cost/km
- Mileage 80c/km
- Others at cost