The Creative Communities Scheme provides funding for local community projects that encourage arts participation.
Under the scheme, "arts" includes 'all forms of creative and interpretative expression'.
The amount of funding available to distribute in grants each year is $42,000.
Application form and funding dates
Funding applications close on the last Friday of February and August.
Due to Cyclone Gabrielle impacts, applications will be received up to Friday 3 March 2023.
To be successful you must show how your proposed project meets one or more of the following criteria:-
- Broad community involvement - the project creates opportunities for many people to participate in arts activities.
- Diversity - the project supports diverse arts and culture while promoting their uniqueness.
- Young people - the project encourages under 18-year-olds to engage and actively participate in the arts.
Who can apply for funding?
Any individual or group can apply.
Individuals must be a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident.
The types of projects or activities that could be funded are:
- exhibitions, productions, concerts, festivals, workshops and presentations offering opportunities for community involvement in the arts
- activities that support the traditions and arts of ethnic communities
- youth arts events
- artist-led projects involving local communities
- materials for arts activities or programmes
- personnel costs for one-off, short-term projects
- promotion and publicity of arts activities to communities
- Activities that are not arts-focused
- activities that are the direct responsibility of schools or other education institutions
- ongoing administration costs not related to a specific project
- projects that are the core business of an organisation or service provider
- retrospective project costs - for projects already started or completed
- catering costs
- fundraising activities
- travel for individuals or groups to attend events, presentations or shows
- developing facilities, such as gallery and theatre lights, stage curtains or building restoration
- buying capital items such as computers, cameras, musical instruments, costumes or uniforms.