Getting involved in regular sport competitions is always a challenge for people living in rural communities. The Sport NZ Rural Travel Fund is:
- designed to help subsidise rural travel for junior teams
- targeted at young people aged between 5-19 years to assist school and club sports teams to participate in local sporting competitions.
There's 2 funding rounds each year for winter and summer sports codes.
- Winter codes close the last Friday in April at 5pm.
- Summer codes close the 2nd Friday in November at 5pm.
Applications will only be considered from rural areas - this excludes Gisborne city.
The grant provides assistance for travel costs related to local regular sports competition for junior teams (5-19 year-olds)
The fund is not available for travelling to regional or national events.
School sports teams and sports clubs are defined as:
- a school sports team participating in regular local sport competition in the weekends, which excludes inter-school and intra-school competitions played during school time
- a sports club team participating in organised, regular sport competition through club membership outside of school time.
Applications are considered by a local committee made up of Council staff and a Sports Gisborne Tairāwhiti representative who have an understanding of the challenges rural sports teams have.
Complete the application form or pick one up from our customer service centres.
Application form and guidelines
Information to be provided with your application
Provide the following with your completed application form:
- a balance sheet from your organisation such as a financial statement
- a bank deposit slip (in case your application is approved)
- evidence of your endorsement from your local affiliated club/school (if required)
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.