I mua i tō hanga whare

Before you build

Changes to the Building Act apply to most residential building work or renovations. Talk to our duty planner, or your own planning adviser about your building project to make sure it meets the requirements of the District Plan.

It's best to talk to us before you apply for a building consent, to avoid any expensive changes to plans.

Building consents are processed within 20 working days.

You need a building consent for building work as defined in the Building Act 2004, this may include:

  • Structural building - includes new buildings, additions, alterations, accessory buildings (sheds) and repiling
  • Additions or Alterations - also see minor building work
  • Plumbing and drainage work
  • Solid fuel fireplace, ventilation and air conditioning systems necessary for the functioning of the building
  • Alterations to specified systems for commercial buildings
  • Lifts
  • Site works associated with the building
  • Relocation of secondhand buildings
  • Retaining walls higher than 1.5m
  • Retaining walls less than 1.5m that provide support for buildings, driveways or sloping ground
  • Swimming pools and large tanks
  • Decks that are covered
  • Decks that are more than 1.5m from ground level
  • Any building more than 30m²
  • Dams

Check building work that does not require a building consent(external link)