Te hoko kai – ngā takunetanga, te kohi moni, me ngā herenga kore

Selling food - events, fundraising and exemptions

To sell food at an event, a market, or online in the Gisborne Tairāwhiti district you need to register as a food business and meet the same requirements as other registered food businesses, unless you're exempt.

Here's the information on registering a food business

On this page

Organising an event

If you're organising or running an event in the Gisborne Tairāwhiti district, there are other consents and licenses you may need to apply for. You'll also need to complete an event application.

Event organisers may also need to monitor food sellers and facilitate food safety at the event. See MPI's resource Food safety tips for event organisers

All registered food operators should be able to provide a copy of their registration, or you can search their registration using MPI's public register

Preparing or selling food once per year

If you sell food only once a year, you don’t need to apply to Council for approval or registration, but your food must be safe and suitable to eat. 
See MPIs website for food safety rules

Exempt from registering as a food business

Some sellers are exempt from registering as a food business and from the Food Act requirements

These exemptions are approved under the Food Act 2014. Food sellers or groups who are exempt don't need to apply for permission to sell food, but must comply with MPIs Food Safety Rules


Type of food sellerRequirement
Fruit or vegetable grower selling only unprocessed fruit or vegetables they have grown, direct to the consumer Exempt but must not sell ready to eat salads
Charity or fundraising group selling food fewer than 20 times in a calendar year Exempt
A person selling food once per year Exempt
A retailer selling only manufacturer packaged shelf-stable food such as packaged nuts, chips, confectionery. Exempt

Homekill and recreational catch

The Animal Products Act 1999 states that homekill and recreationally caught food such as fish and game, must not be sold. Selling includes:

  • using for advertising purposes, as a prize or for fundraising
  • bartering
  • supplying as part of a contract
  • supplying as part of a charge for another product or service.

Need more information?

Please contact our food team if you have any questions on food safety or any operators registered in the Gisborne district. Phone 0800 653 800 or email food@gdc.govt.nz