Kaiwaiata me te kaikiriwhakaari tiriti

Busking or street performer

We encourage buskers to occupy the black circles on the footpath in the CBD or use private land.

If you're busking outside a premise, you need to get permission from the premise owner or staff to busk.

You also need to comply with the following:

  • no amplified music.
  • keep noise to a reasonable level at all times.
    Complaints often occur due to the volume, type of music, or when the appeal to the public is lost.
  • no offensive actions or language
  • don't obstruct pedestrians
  • avoid busking in the same place for too long
  • do not solicit or canvas for donations.

If you're selling food, you need a licence to sell food.

Complaints about buskers

If we receive a justified complaint, we'll ask the busker to stop or move on.

Contact us if you have a complaint.