Whakaaetanga rawa taiao

Resource consent

The information in this section relates to what activities require resource consent, how to apply for resource consent and related approvals.

Before you carry out an activity or make changes to your property, it's important to check whether you're permitted to do so under the Tairawhiti Resource Management Plan.

We provide a free duty planner service where you can talk to one of our planners.

Duty planner service hours are 10am – 12pm Monday to Friday

For subdivision, residential development, land use consents: email dutyplanner@gdc.govt.nz or phone 06 869 2444

For water permits, coastal permits, groundwater consents, forestry consents and regional land use consents: email regional.consents@gdc.govt.nz or phone 06 867 2049

Our duty planner will contact you the following business day, if you contact us outside of these hours.

What is a resource consent?

A resource consent is a written approval from Council for an activity that might affect the environment, and that isn't allowed 'as of right' in our combined district and regional plan - Tairāwhiti Resource Management Plan

Everyday people apply for resource consent to do things like - subdivide their property, relocate a dwelling, take water from a river or stream and more.

Resource consent information

Basic overview of resource consent process

Watch the video to see the process and why you require consent

A basic overview of the resource consent process