Te amuamu ratonga hanganga

Building service complaint

There are 2 types of complaints in regard to the building consent authority processes.

A complaint about the refusal to issue a building consent or a Code Compliance Certificate should be dealt with by way of a determination. Information about the process is available on the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website (external link)

A complaint regarding building services staff, the building consent or inspection process should be made directly to the Gisborne District Council as the building consent authority.

How do I make a complaint?

Complaints need to be in writing.

Anonymous or verbal complaints will not be actioned.

Address your complaint to the Building Services Manager, Gisborne District Council, PO Box 747, Gisborne 4040.

If the complaint is regarding the building services manager it should be addressed to the Director Environmental Services and Protection, Gisborne District Council, PO Box 747, Gisborne 4040

What information is required?

  • Name and contact details.
  • The date the incident occurred.
  • The nature of the complaint (guidance information, vetting, lodgement, inspection, notice to fix, code compliance certificate or compliance schedule).
  • Any supporting information (if applicable).
  • Relationship - customer, regulator, or stakeholder.

Complaint process - how long does it take?

Complainants are responded to within 48 hours of the receipt of the complaint. You may be asked if you wish to be heard in relation to the complaint or to provide further information.

All complaints will be actioned within 10 working days of receipt of complaint, unless a request for further information is made.

The decision will be made on a fair and reasonable basis without fear or favour.  Any actions taken will be proportional to the scale of the complaint.

Do I have a right of appeal?

Yes, if you do not agree with the outcome you may request a review of the decision. All appeals must be made in writing setting out the reasons why you disagree with the decision.